[Last Update May, 2022]
Living with Sciatica is like you are drowning underwater and suffocating for breathing. The intense pain never lets you even think properly once you encounter it in different affected areas. So, finding out the best TENS unit for sciatica is a must. By the way, if you ever treated by your doctor, then your doctor must recommend you with the TENS device, that can stimulate your nervous system, and eventually kick out all the pain.
Read this article as a complete guide for buying your best tens machine for Sciatica. At the end of the article, we will directly answer the Frequently Asked Questions.
Ideal Massager Exclusive:- Best For Wireless
iReliv Premium TENS + EMS Pain Relief & Recovery
Our Top Picks
Instead of reading the whole article, you can just have a look at the following our top picks where will differentiate and make your own choice to buy any of them.
6 Best Tens Unit For Sciatica Nerve Pain Relief & Sciatica Pain
As you know, there are a lot of machines out there, and thus it makes anyone confused about buying the best tens unit for sciatica pain. So it is important to find the best tens unit out of the averages, they are reviewed below
Best For Overall On Amazon:- TENS 7000 Muscle Stimulator For Back Pain
Tens 7000 Muscle Stimulator For Back Pain is the most advanced, portable, and user-friendly TENS unit on the market today. This Tens 7000 unit is a compact, portable, and easy-to-use TENS unit. It uses state-of-the-art microprocessor technology to give you complete control over pulse width, rate, and intensity.
This TENS unit has two independent channels which can provide different strengths and modes at the same time. In addition, the Tens 7000 TENs Unit comes with 12 Electrode Pads for use on various body parts; 4 Super sticky adhesive gel pads for placement of electrodes on hard to stick areas such as the lower back; 1 Large patch to place electrodes over shoulders or buttocks; 1 pair of reusable cloth patches for use with a large patch.
This FDA-registered massager is clinically proven to relieve back pain, reduce stress and tension, stimulate blood circulation, decrease muscle spasms and stiffness. It works by stimulating peripheral nerves outside the nervous system. Each of these seven modes has been developed according to their function and effect.
It has been designed for use at home or on the go and is perfect for anyone looking for effective pain relief from acute or chronic muscle pain, including back pain, neck pain, foot pain, or shoulder pain.
- Dual Channel TENS Unit: Dual channel tens units allow for greater control and customization for your unique pain relief needs. Our dual-channel unit can provide up to 4 times more power than single-channel units and can be adjusted depending on the area being treated.
- EMS Muscle Stimulation For Back Pain: The TENS 7000 also has an EMS setting built into it. EMS stands for electrical muscle stimulation and promotes muscle development and relaxation muscles after a workout or strenuous exercise.
- Preset Modes: You can choose from 7 different modes to best suit your pain relief needs. Choose from constant, pulse, burst, or modulated modes giving you pain relief in multiple ways.
- Adjustable Intensity: The TENS 7000 can be adjusted to find the perfect setting for your needs. Simply select your desired intensity and then turn the dial to increase or decrease the strength.
- FDA Cleared: FDA cleared medical device for temporary relief of minor aches and pains associated with arthritis, backache, sprains, muscle aches, and toothaches.
- Replaceable 9V Battery: The TENS 7000 uses a replaceable 9-volt battery which provides power to the unit. You can also purchase rechargeable batteries separately and take advantage of the convenience of never having to buy batteries again.
- 60 Minute Timer: The TENS 7000 comes with a 60-minute timer that allows you to program in the amount of time you want the device to be on for each session.
Stimulation Modes: 7 | Intensity Settings: 2 | TENS & EMS Modes: Yes | Battery Life: 9-volt battery | Weight: 1.15 Pounds
Best For Affordable Cost:- HealthmateForever YK15AB TENS unit
When a TENS machine comes with 4 outputs, then you need to assume that you're investing in a good place. After that FDA Cleared, HealthmateForever YK15AB has 8 electrode pads that are really huge if you compare with the other machines.
Surprisingly, it doesn't bother to serve powerful stimulation even though it has 4 outputs, which is a winsome thing indeed.
Another main attention of this device is to have 15 different massage modes and 9 of the process the auto stimulation for producing different massage modes.
By the way, the rest of the six modes allows you to create your specific massage sessions. Hence there is a great opportunity to personalize it whenever you want it to be.
The predefined message programs allow you to use it for a specific part of your body. The massage pads are a non-woven material for that it comes to you with flexible experience. Besides, you can easily keep it on your muscles, and joints and so you don't need to use any creams or gels now.
- It has a total of 4 outputs that connect 8 electrode pads, and thus, it can cover more areas for therapy.
- The 20 level of intensity level stimulates and provides longer-lasting pain relief.
- Easy to operate each mode button and easy to target any areas for massage
- Adjustable speed allows covering any body parts with great pain relief experience
- It will fit in your travel bag because it is portable and lightweight and equipped with a belt clip too.
Stimulation Modes: 15 | Intensity Settings: 20 | TENS & EMS Modes: Yes | Battery Life: 3 AAA Batteries | Weight: 1 Pound
Best Portable Massager:- Tens Unit Plus 24 Rechargeable Electronic Pulse Massager
Tens Unit Plus 24 is great PMS or power muscle stimulator device that can dramatically alleviate your pain. It is more versatile than you can not imagine before using it as the 24 massage mode allows six different types of massage. So to allow the massaging it comes with six pads, a wire holder, belt clip, and USB and wall charger.
One of the main reasons why you should use it is for the versatile and different intense mode and the portability that allows you to carry with you. It fits in every pocket, and thus you can travel with it anywhere you want. To monitor the function, the LCD display comes very transparent to see through every notification or operation.
Your therapy will be more versatile as you can have the cupping, acupuncture, tai chi, and reflexology mode and easily switch between them.
When you use it, you will find the electrode modes are allowing two people to use it simultaneously, and the whole operation will be powered by a rechargeable battery that can run for 20 hours on one charge. You can enjoy the medication and allow the right treatment, and most importantly, all these happen right here in your home, and no experts needed to do so.
- 24 different modes allow you to cover every area of your body parts and improve the sciatica pain
- It comes with six different massaging modes like kneading, Swedish, Cupping, Scraping, Reflexology, and Tai-chi.
- It can run even 20 minutes of charging, and the full charge allows 20 hours of operation.
- The belt clip and the small size of the device allow for more portability.
- It has 2 electrode cables, a belt clip, a USB, and a wall charger.
Stimulation Modes: 24 | Intensity Settings: 20 | TENS & EMS Modes: Yes | Battery Life: Lithium-Ion Battery | Weight: 13 Ounces
Best For Home Use:- Omron Max Power Relief TENS Unit (PM3032)
Again in the product, you will have two big electrodes, a lead wire, a carrying pouch, and a belt clip. This product is powered by 2 AAA rechargeable batteries.
So now, you can load the batteries into your unit and then make sure to attach its lead wire into the device along with the two big electrodes. Therefore, from now, you are ready to beat your pain.
You will be glad to know there would be no further setup once you deal well with the electrical output of Omron.
After that, when you will start allowing it in many parts of your body, make sure you don't keep it for more than fifteen minutes and so on. After removing, it feels good as you want to be. It has some dedicated programs so that you can apply on your leg, lower back, arm, hand-foot, and for that, you can choose the specific current flow in the device that is really versatile indeed.
- It generates 2X power up to 15 levels of intensity to alleviate pain remarkably.
- The size of it just like your phone and the belt clip maximizes the portability
- It runs with 6 different pain modes for your shoulder, arm, foot, leg, joint, and lower back
- It has a versatile controlling system using the keys, and the big screen allows to monitor the operation
- Specialized in three massages like a tap, rub and knead and 100% drug-free effective for home use
Stimulation Modes: 6 | Intensity Settings: 15 | TENS & PAD Modes: Yes | Battery Life: 2 AAA Batteries | Weight: 6.4 Ounces
Best For Traveller:- Tens Unit TechCare Plus 24 Massager [Lifetime Warranty]
When you come to know a TENS device has a total of 24 modes and tons of including a feature that will obviously make you confident to buy it, and why not as it is affordable too. Techcare is now an industry-leading brand and churns out many products, and that goes hyped among people.
The same goes for the Tens Unit TechCare Plus 24 Massager, which appears sleek and stylish, easy to carry, and rechargeable. The belt clip, and the plastic holder really a winsome feature that is added with the device. So you can carry it wherever you want, and the plastic holder makes it secure while traveling.
But these are not the main functionalities for which it is designed; rather, the main thing is to relieve your pain, allowing stimulation like tapping, cupping, acupuncturing, and deep tissue massage.
Besides, the adjustable mode makes it easy to switch between one mode to another mode. It has 10 to 60 minutes of the timer, and at first, you will press the T button and then press/hold the M button to surf another mode.
- It has a total of 24 versatile modes that maximize the number of areas for massaging and relieving pain.
- The battery allows it to run the device for up to 20 hours, and the A-B output makes sure to use it as 2 separate users.
- The hardcover travel case made of EVA material, which is semi-waterproof and shockproof.
- The belt clip and the small size of the device allow for more portability.
- Six different messaging modes make it worthy of investing your money, which are kneading, Swedish, Cupping, Scraping, Reflexology, and Tai-chi.
Stimulation Modes: 24 | Intensity Settings: 2 | TENS & PAD Modes: Yes | Battery Life: Lithium Polymer | Weight: 1.55 Pounds
Best For Long Use:- NURSAL Dual Channel Electronic Pulse Massager for Pain Relief Therapy
Overall it would be a great product to boost your lifestyle without pain and problem. Again, it offers a variety of functions at the same time easy to operate.
It has a bigger and great transparent LCD touch screen, whereas you can control all the stuff. However, you may find a few analog buttons over there. If we go inside this product, we will find a total of 8 pads that allow 20 different intensity levels based on intensity level, and you can operate it within 12 modes. By the way, there will be two separate channels for the continuous use of two individual modes.
Thankfully, they design the product as lightweight as it has to be so that you can bring it anywhere and find it portable. Again. When you use it in different body areas, you will also find it portable to use on your back, knee, shoulder, wrist, or ankles. By the way, make sure you put both of the cables into a channel like A or B.
- The powerful and rechargeable lithium battery is attached to it so that you can avoid any interruption, and also it notifies you to recharge
- It has 4 medium pads, 2 large pads, and 2 small pads, and all are 8 top-quality attachments.
- Versatile with different 20 intensity level let you treat in any areas of your body
- It fits every pocket, compact but portable to travel anywhere you want.
- The high-definition LCD display shows everything transparently.
Stimulation Modes: 24 | Intensity Settings: 20 | TENS & EMS Modes: Yes | Battery Life: Lithium Battery | Weight: 4.96 Pounds
Note: For the ailment of shoulder pain a tens unit is effective. To educate you on this matter we have covered an article on most powerful tens unit.
What is TENS Unit Therapy?
TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. It is a therapy technique used to treat pain and other symptoms of illness to promote healing, avoid surgery or medication use, enhance function, manage chronic conditions like diabetes and arthritis more effectively, and speed up recovery from injury. The TENS unit sends electrical pulses through the skin, which stimulate nerve fibers that transmit signals into muscles near them, telling it not to contract so often - this reduces muscle spasms while relieving your pain!
A complete Buying Guide for Tens Unit Machines:
You should come to know which things to consider and which things not to consider before buying a Tens unit. For that, keep in mind these five features in your next device.
- Programs / Modes:
While you are choosing any TENS unit, make sure it has the right programs or modes. For that, the more variety of choices you will have, the better it would be. By the way, you may not find the variation while choosing any cheaper device. Try to choose such devices which have at least tapping, acupuncture, and cupping modes.
- Intensity Levels:
After making the variation of the modes, you need to focus on the variation of the intensity levels. It is obvious that not any number of fix intensity levels necessarily not work in every area of your body. So the more you have, the better you can apply in every part of your body.
Not all but the best TNS unit include EMS. It works great to contract the muscle and result in alleviating pain remarkably. Besides, it can manage to reduce the pain and build strength level, too; this is why it is great to be in your device.
In short, the more channels mean the pads you can use in your device for that, you can target more than 2 areas at a time. Hence, the intensity level will be divided into two different channels across the body.
You don't want your device to replenish frequently, that's why make sure a device can run at least 15 hours in one go or 20 hours after fully charged.
What is a Tens Unit Machine?
The elaboration of TENS is Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, which is a process of drug-free method and non-invasive too. In earlier days, physical therapists use the same method but not as secure as this machine has now brought to us so that only experts can handle that system and also has some side effects. Thankfully, now you can use the TENS machine at your home without any experts.
Benefits of using a tens unit for sciatica knee pain:
The best benefit you come to know without actively understand is the pain-relieving benefit. This is why you want to use this great device. Apart from that, you need to know the five best benefits for why you should use them right now, and they are:
- It is a non-invasive and drug-free solution, so you won't find any sort of side effects like the medication or surgery
- It can block the nerve out of pain, and thus the nerve unable to send signals that cause pain.
- Improving blood circulation in the applied areas
- Improve healing the pain from an injury
- Improves condition from Sciatica, fibromyalgia
Are There Any Side Effects When Using TENS Machines for Sciatica?
The TENS machine is designed to provide pain relief by sending an electrical stimulation through the nerves in your body. The device has no noticeable side effects, but it may not be appropriate for some people with heart problems or those on certain medications like blood thinners and anti-seizure drugs that can cause bleeding issues if they are given a shock.
Sciatica is often considered to be the symptom of an underlying issue, such as a problem with the disc in your back or something else close to the root of your sciatic nerve. The most common symptoms of sciatica are pain, tingling and numbness that runs down into the buttocks and leg- sometimes even into toes in rare instances- but there is currently no clear reason why one person's sciatic nerve might hurt more than another's without any injury or ailment being present.
So do you ever come to know that how does a TENS machine works?
Well, it generates electrical pulses that are actually low in voltage when you apply the electrode pad attaches to your skin. Consequently, it stimulates your nerve fibers in order to block the pain signals that a nerve normally sends to your brain. So when the blockage would be done by itself, then you won't feel the pain in the same way. This is not an end, and it also leads to produce the natural endorphins that are called "The feel-good chemical." Hence, it can improve your mood and bring more ease with pain.
Note: Massaging from Tens unit has some major breakthroughs as it can only relax the nerve pain as a non-invasive drug-free solution. To be frank, there are a lot of things you still need to know regarding this topic. For that, you should come to know how can massage help sciatica?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- Can you sleep with a TENS machine?
The TNS machine is lightweight and portable, so you can sleep with a TNS machine, and it doesn't cause any damage to the machine at all.
- Can a TENS unit cause nerve damage?
Practicing something excessively is harmful, and thus the same goes with the TENS machine. That's why some sophisticated machines come with an intelligent timer so that it goes shut down automatically to avoid any neuro damage.
- Does a TENS unit increase blood flow?
Yes, it helps to increase your blood flow, but to some extent, so when you use on your muscle, you may find the redness over there that proves that it increases the blood flow.
- Can you overuse a TENS unit?
Overusing the TENS unit may cause many problems, so we recommend you don't do so. It can produce more than endorphins that you require, and the nerve may collapse too.
- Can using a TENS unit be harmful?
Using a TENS unit is neither harmful nor unsafe as it is a process of non-invasive and drug-free solution.
- What causes sciatica buttock pain?
Sciatica is a symptom much more than it is an illness. It means that you are experiencing pain from the lower back and into the buttocks and legs. Herniated discs, pinched nerves can cause sciatica, narrowed spinal cord foramina, piriformis syndrome, and Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.
As for buttock pain, most likely, there are different causes to buttock pain like prolapsed intervertebral discs, trigger points (hint: in your piriformis muscle), adductor muscle strain, or tight IT band, among others.
- what is the best exercise for sciatic nerve pain?
Maintaining a good posture when sitting or standing can help to relieve pressure on your nerves. Yoga and Pilates are also helpful workouts that focus more on strengthening the muscles around your spine, pelvis, hips, and buttocks. You may want to try swimming too! It is low-impact but provides resistance as you move through water which works out this area with less stress than other workout routines such as running or weightlifting.
- How can I make my tens pads sticky again?
An easy way to make your tens pads stay sticky is to use a washcloth.
- Put the washcloth in boiling water for three minutes
- Leave it covering the tens pad for two minutes.
- Take off the washcloth and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut up one of these into small squares, mix them with water, and put them on top of your tens pad: oat flour or instant rice cereal (powder).
Let dry overnight - you'll have sticky pads!
- Why is my sciatica getting worse?
Your sciatic nerve may be irritated. Many things can cause this, but trauma is the most likely culprit. Trauma could have come from a fall, sports injury, or other physical damage to your lower spine. Treatment will depend on what caused it - however, since trauma is usually the case, in addition to rest and conservative treatments such as ice packs and muscle relaxers, you won't resume activities for at least 6 weeks after symptoms went away unless an MRI shows no structural problem with your back.
- Who should not use a tens unit?
Tens units are a type of electrotherapy that applies electrical muscle stimulation at levels just below the point where they will cause numbness or pain. The reason why people should not use the device is because it stimulates muscle, so those with uncontrolled diabetes, epilepsy, heart conditions, pregnancy, cancerous tumors on their brain or spine area and those recovering from recent surgery may be warned to avoid tens units. Still if someone wants to use them anyways then they will need parental consent as well as recommendation by a doctor.
- What is the best tens unit for home use?
TENS units for home use can be used to improve acute and chronic pain, and other issues such as anxiety or depression. See more information here: top 3 Best tens unit for home use in Amazon:
Depending on your preferences and product affordability, the best tens unit for sciatica may end up being one of these six: The TENS 7000 Digital TENS Unit With Accessories (Best For Overall in Amazon), HealthmateForever YK15AB TENS unit EMS Muscle Stimulator Device (Best For Affordable Cost) with FDA Approval. You may choose any one that suits your needs and budget, as they all have different features which can help heal from back pain without taking too much time off work or going through surgery. In this, the Tens machine for sciatica reviews we mentioned above can magically solve your Sciatica and any pain.
We Also Covered Top Tens Unit Massager Reviews For You: