body pains, muscle aches, or muscle spasms, and many more. All these pains have their own causes, symptoms, and effects.
People who suffer from pain or discomfort know how miserable life becomes because of it. If you're struggling with chronic pain, it can be hard to know what to do. You might have tried various pain relief treatments, cold packs, ice packs, heated gel packs, hot water, and many other therapies.
But it might happen that even after trying every therapy, you didn't get any good result or relief from your severe pain. So, if you are looking for something that can provide you a great relief from your pain and grant you a pain-free life, then we get the best solution for you - a heating pad.[toc]
What is A Heating Pad?
The idea behind heat therapy is that the application of heat causes blood vessels to dilate, which allows for increased blood flow or blood circulation to the treated area.
This increased blood flow can relieve pain and swell in some cases, as well as treat sore muscles.
Heating pads have been used for centuries to treat pain and inflammation.
It provides an effective treatment for acute pain. They are a great way to relax your sore muscles. They’re also good for relieving tension, headaches, reducing stiffness, and warming cold feet.
Heating pads work excellently even when many treatments and therapies fail to help your tense muscles, stiff joints, and severe or dull pain. It helps to reduce neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain, arthritis pain, pain during pregnancy, hip pain, and many more.
It is a non-invasive, drug-free way to relieve every sort of pain and discomfort. So, get a heating pad and enjoy a pain-free life.
Types of Heating Pad:
The earliest heating pads were similar to hot water bottles, made from heated water, seaweed, or sand inside a sealed canvas bag.
But now, various types of heating pads are available on the market, designed for specific kinds of pain, such as:-
- Electric heating pad
- Microwavable heating pad
- Moist heating pad
- Chemical heating pad
- Infrared heating pad
There are lots of other types of heating pads available on the market, but these are the main ones.
How to use an Electric Heating Pad:
Though they are very effective and easy to use, most people don't know how to use them correctly, and as a result of inappropriate use, they don't get any beneficial results.
But don't worry! We are here to help you.
If you don't know how to use a heating pad, then read the following section of the article and use the heating pad by following the mentioned steps to get the best results:
- Unpack the heating pad and take out all the necessary things from the box.
- Connect it to the power source so that it can get heated.
- Place the pad on the place where you are facing the pain, soreness, or stiffness.
- Always start with minimal settings. For mild pain or aches, low settings are good enough to help you get rid of the feeling of pain. Raise the intensity of heat if required.
- Mainly, the settings come in low, mid, and high levels. The kinds of heating you should use actually depend on the level of pain or muscle soreness you are having. For example, you can use deep heat if you have really stiff muscles. But don't change the level of heat too frequently.
- You can use it for short or long periods of time according to your tolerance and need. The optimal heating time is 15-30 minutes. But in case you need more then you can use extra 10-15 minutes. But don't overuse it; after all, it's an electronic device.
- After finishing the use, stop the heating process and keep the pad safely in the box.
How to use a Homemade Heating Pad:
You just need an old cloth or sock and then put rice inside it. Then sew the top of the socks or clothes so that no rice can get out of them.
Now it's ready to use. When you want to use it, just put the pad in the microwave oven for about 3-5 minutes and carefully take it out.
Then put this on the place where you are feeling the pain or soreness. If the pad is too hot, you can put a cloth between your skin and the pad. Use it according to the level of pain and reheat it if required.
Benefits of heating pads:
- Increase of blood: The heating pad increases blood circulation, not blood pressure; as a result, oxygen and nutrition travel to the joint and cells. And help you get relief from all kinds of pain, soreness, and stiffness of muscles.
- The heat radiation increases the healing process but doesn't increase the core temperature. So, you get rid of the pain but don't feel uncomfortable.
- Heating pad works great for pain and stiff muscles when many other therapies don't work.
- Portable. You can carry and use it anywhere you want.
- It gives you relief from pain faster and for an extended period of time.
- It's safe to use without any side effects.
When to avoid a heating pad:
There are many benefits of using a heating pad. In fact, heating pads have been used for centuries to provide pain relief for sore muscles.
But there are certain situations when you should avoid using a heating pad or consult a doctor first.
- Pregnant women: A heating pad provides great relief from back pain to pregnant women. But too much heat can be dangerous to a fetus. So, use it carefully when you are using it on the back or pelvic area.
- Use it carefully if you have diabetics.
- Don't use it on the recently injured area.
- Avoid using it on the area of skin with poor blood circulation or sensation.
- On the area of skin with severe infection.
Heating Pad Side Effects:
Side effects are rare for the heating pad, but some face little skin irritation, tingling, and rash. Some face little skin burning.
They might have very sensitive skin or maybe use overheat for an extended amount of time.
So, you should check before buying if your skin is too sensitive to heat or not.
Overall, the heating pad is a great way to soothe muscles, relieve any kind of pain and provide great relaxation. So, if you are someone with pain, muscle soreness, or want some relaxation, then you can surely rely on the heating pad. Therefore, get a heating pad for yourself and enjoy a pain-free, relaxed life.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ):
- Is it safe to use a heating pad while pregnant?
Yes, it's safe to use a heating pad while pregnant. But you need to be careful while using it on your back and pelvic area as overheating causes danger to the fetus.
- How to make a heating pad at home?
Take any old or new sock and put rice inside it properly. Then stitch the open portion and seal it perfectly. Now it's ready to use. You just need to heat it for 3-5 min in the microwave oven and use it on the area of pain or soreness.
- How to use a heating pad safely?
You need to follow the instruction first and don't overheat it or use it for a longer amount of time every day. Don't sleep with a heating pad; it might cause you to burn your skin. Also, don't use it on injured, sensitive, or numb skin. You can also place a towel or cloth between the heating pad and your skin for better safety.
- How often do you use a heating pad?
You can use it every day or 3-4 days a week. If you use it every day, then use it for 15-25 mins only. And if you use it weekly, then you can use it for 20-40mins.