It’s designed to be placed on the skin in order to improve conductivity and help move electricity through your body.
The main purpose of an electrode gel is to eliminate unwanted electrochemical reactions that occur during electrical stimulation between the skin and electrodes. This gel also works to help the electrode stick better and, therefore, record a more accurate reading.
Electrode gels are very important in medical and physical therapy applications. They help maintain a conductive environment for the body, helping to ensure your electrodes stay in place and work effectively. For example, if you use a tens unit or EMS stimulation, you must use electrode gels to get the best results.
Overall, electrode gel plays an important role in any experiment or using any electrical device for therapy.
Electrode Gel Importance:
The electrode gel is one of the most important accessories while working with any electrical device for therapy or experimenting.
It is also used in electrocardiography, electroencephalography, and electromyography.
It is a key player in electrical skin stimulation. Though it's not an exciting or trending topic, it's a critical part of your electrical stimulation experience.
So if you're wondering why you should use electrode gel or why it's important to use it, then here are some reasons:
- Electrode gel provides excellent conductivity between your electrode pads and your skin. This is vital since the small amount of electricity running through your electrodes will be transferred to you.
- It helps the electrode stick better to the skin creating a more comfortable experience for the patient.
- It eliminates the unwanted electrochemical reactions that occur during electrical stimulation between the skin and electrodes.
- It prevents any kind of skin infections or irritation.
- It helps to make the overall process effective.
How to Choose Electrode Gel:
But choosing the right electrode gel can be difficult, especially if you aren’t sure what to look for.
While electrode gels come in a variety of formulas, brands, and price points,
the best way to choose one that will work best for your device is to consider the following criteria.
- First, find out the list of the best gel and then choose from them.
- Get to know if your electrotherapy machine supports this gel. For example, if you are getting electrode gel for your tens unit, then you must know what type of electrode patches or electrode pads you are using. And then get the gel according to it.
- Know about the quality of the gel. Go through the customer reviews - product reviews.
- If you are looking for gel for long-term applications, then get the gel with salt-free characteristics.
- Know about the materials of the electrode and get the gel according to it—for example, the salt-free gel works best for rubber-carbon electrodes.
- The wrong gel can cause skin irritation or cause damage to body tissues as it directly comes into contact with the skin. So, know about the ingredients and check if you have any allergies to them or not.
- And before buying, know about the expiry date, using process, or return policy.
How To Use Electrode Gel:
So you've just purchased your shiny new electrode gel and are ready to use it for the first time. You know it's important to apply it in a way that will keep your skin comfortable, but how do you get the best application? To get the best result, you need to apply it correctly. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to get great results every time you use the electrode gel.
- Firstly, clean the area of your skin where you are going to put the product. Because if you have too much oily or greasy skin, the product will not work properly, and also, the electrode won't stick to the place. So, clean the natural body oils.
- After cleaning your skin, let it dry.
- Then put the gel. Start with small amounts, and add more as needed. It's easier to add a bit more than you need than remove it if it's too much.
- And then start the therapy.
- After finishing the therapy session, remove it if you have any extra gel left on the skin. Then clean and dry the skin.
Why use Electrode Gel for TENS Unit:
TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. It is a medical device that delivers electrical impulses or electrical stimulation to the nerves and muscles of the human body for therapeutic purposes.
They can be used for many different types of pain, including back pain, chronic muscle, and joint pain, fibromyalgia, and more serious conditions like multiple sclerosis. And if you are looking to buy a Tens Unit, you will likely be adding many additional products and accessories. One of the most common and one that is essential is the Electrode Gel.
You might wonder why you need electrode gel for your tens unit! Because the gel is the most important part of the process, it not only helps the electrodes stick to your skin, but it also helps conduct the current better by reducing skin resistance and makes TENS therapy more effective.
But because of regular use, the gel that comes with your unit dries up very quickly. As a result, the sticky surface of the electrode pads will no longer stick to your skin and won't provide any benefits. So, you should use extra gel to make the electrode pads sticky again.
How to use Electrode Gel for TENS Unit:
But don't put too much product as it'll be no good. Then dab it a little so that the gel can set on the place.
Now, your tens unit is ready to use again like the first time.
When you should avoid Electrode gel:
Though electrode gel is a safe product to use, there is some certain condition when you should avoid or stop using it:
- If you feel any skin irritation, rash, itching by using the product.
- If you have allergies to any ingredients of the gel.
- If the gel doesn't work well with your therapy machine.
- Don't put it on already irritated, recently injured skin.
Electrode gel is a must-have if you plan on using your TENS unit or any electric therapy device regularly. It increases the conductivity ability, helps the electric signals penetrate smoothly, reduces the chance of skin irritation, and helps to get the best result. So, use electrode gel and get your desired result.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- Why is electrode gel key to successful electrotherapy?
Electrode gel is key to successful electrotherapy because it provides excellent conductivity, making the overall process more effective. It also prevents skin irritation or burning, which makes the overall experience more comfortable.
- How to make electrode pads sticky again?
You can do it by using electrode gel. Put a little amount of electrode gel on the pads, then spread and dab it on the pad. That's it. The pad will sticky like the first time you use it.
- Is electrode gel safe?
Yes, it's completely safe with minimal side effects. But before buying anything, you should always check if they contain any ingredients you are allergic to.
- Is electrode gel necessary?
Yes, definitely it is because it improves the effectiveness of any therapy by increasing the conductivity. It also prevents any kind of skin irritation, tingling, or burning sensation and provides a great experience to the user.